Exercises to Build Arm Muscles
The focus of these exercises is on the three muscle groups, biceps, triceps, and forearms. There are many exercises to develop the muscles of these groups. Some of them are given below.
Biceps: Biceps is the muscle present on the front part of the upper arm. Exercising these muscles is one of the most important part of the muscle building routine. Your bicep workout may include exercises such as:
- Bicep Curls (standing/sitting): Hold one dumbbell each, in both your hands such that your arms are facing away from you. Now, lift the weight in the left arm by bending it from the elbow. Bring it till the shoulder and then again lower it down slowly. While lowering the left arm, lift the right arm in the same manner. Repeat with the other hand.
- Preacher Curls: Sit on a preacher bench resting your upper arms on the bench with palms facing towards the ceiling. Have somebody hand you a barbell, and lower it till your arms become straight on the bench. Let your muscles stretch with it. Now, lift the barbell till the shoulders, and then slowly lower it down.
- Bicep Concentration Curls: Sit on the edge of a bench, with your legs spread. Now reach towards the dumbbell kept on the floor from between your legs and hold it firmly with your left hand. Let your left elbow touch the knee of your left leg. Hold your right knee with your right palm to support your upper body. Lift the dumbbell till your chest level, and then bring it down slowly.
- Bicep Incline Curls: Sit on an incline bench with dumbbells in both your hands. The dumbbells should be held such that both the arms are on the side of the bench, hanging down. Now, lift the right lower arm till your shoulders, and then bring it down slowly. Perform the same steps with the other arm.
- Dumbbell Hammer Curls: The exercise is quite similar to dumbbell curls, the only difference is that you hold the dumbbells with a ‘thumbs up’ grip in this exercise. Lift the dumbbells till your shoulders and then bring them back slowly.
Triceps: Triceps muscle is the large muscle on the back of the upper arm. Well toned triceps give an attractive look to the arms. Triceps development workout should consist of exercises like:
- Triceps Dumbbell Extensions: Stand straight and take a dumbbell in your hand. Let your hand holding the dumbbell stretch upwards. Now, bring down the dumbbell in an arc position behind your head, till your elbow bends at a 90 degree angle. Then, come back to the original position by following the same steps.
- Barbell Extensions: Barbell extensions are similar to the triceps dumbbell extensions. Here you have to hold a barbell in both your hands. Lift it up, and then bring it down in an arc position behind your head, with your elbows at 90 degrees.
- Triceps Pushdowns: Stand in front of a overhead pulley and attach a small bar to it. Decide the weight that you would be able to push down. Hold the bar firmly in your hands with your elbows bent and palms facing down. Then slowly push the bar down and at the same time squeeze your triceps. Release the force from the bar gradually and let it come to its original position.
Forearms: Forearms signify your strength, therefore forearm development also is important. People tend to neglect their forearms perhaps out of ignorance. But, forearms are equally important in the overall development of the arms. To build huge and shapely forearms, you may perform an exercise such as:
- Wrist Curls: Stand at a wrist curl machine and hold the dumbbell to be lifted. Lift the dumbbell by moving your wrist upwards and then downwards to its original position. Do not bend the wrist too much.
Tips on Building Arm Muscles
Exercises: Exercises for arm muscle development are a must. The most important things to follow while performing exercises are punctuality and obedience. Exercises and workouts schedule need to be prepared with the help of a physical trainer. Do not try different exercises unless you learn the proper technique to perform them. Even for your regular workouts, try to lift lighter weights in the initial stages. Avoid using heavy weights that are beyond your capacity, as an imbalance while lifting them, might land you in serious muscle pain or injury. In the initial days concentrate on higher number of sets and intense repetitions. Although this will not promote quick muscle gain, it will help you in increasing the strength of your muscles. Once you see considerable development in the size and shape of your muscles, you may move further to lift heavier weights.
Diet: Diet also plays an important part in muscle building program. To obtain the best results, you need to adhere to a proper and balanced diet. To see your arms develop at a steady speed, you may include protein rich foods, vegetables, essential fatty acid foods, low-calorie foods, a low-carb diet, and salads. However, get a proper diet plan prepared from a dietitian, as he would have a better understanding of the requirements of your body.
Sufficient Rest: Well, many people are regular in their exercises and are also concerned about their diet, however, they may overlook the importance of rest. Sufficient rest helps in the growth and development of the muscles. An undisturbed sleep of about 7 hours daily, refreshes your mind and body. Sleep is also necessary for proper digestion of food and muscle relaxation.
Hopefully, you must have found this article informative and useful for your arm muscle building plans. If arm muscle development is the ultimate aim of your workout, then surely, you should be more attentive towards it, as compared to the other muscle groups. However, it would be better if you do not just restrict yourself to the arm muscles. Rather, do even justice to all the other body parts by targeting overall muscle growth to see your body grow proportionately.